[!CrackMonkey!] Nigerian X-Mailer headers

Laurence Berland laurence at isp.northwestern.edu
Mon Aug 5 10:39:19 PDT 2002

begin  quote from Don Marti on Monday 05 August 2002 01:31 pm
> Now hold on just a minute before you burn that witch -- have you
> ever received any legit mail from a Nigerian Microsoft customer?
>
> Maybe that's just a localized build.

You mean nigerians send email about things other than their
murdered/kidnapped/killed government/bank/corporation employees with huge
sums of money/gems/gold hidden away?

Has anyone ever tried the reverse nigerian scam?  It goes like this, and I'm
curious if it could work.

You: I will help you, go ahead and send me the money.
Them: Oh, we will surely do so, but it turns out we need to bribe a clerk.
Please send 2000 dollars.
You: I will send 2000 dollars, but I'm going to need you to send me 50 dollars
for the wire transfer, or else I cannot afford to send it.

Could get you 50 bucks, and if not it's not worse than stringing telemarketers
on for hours uselessly.  I once spent 2 hrs on the phone with sprint while I
was doing some physics homework...never got another sprint call.

L:
http://laurence.isp.northwestern.edu