[CrackMonkey] should have read the FAQ

Don Marti dmarti at zgp.org
Sun Dec 30 22:00:23 PST 2001

Obviously the list this person was on doesn't have a
http://crackmonkey.org/faq.html#ANSWER3

----- Forwarded message from Layton Light <layton at socket.net> -----

Date: Sat, 29 Dec 2001 13:38:57 -0600
From: "Layton Light" <layton at socket.net>
Subject: [Mailman-Users] Do you have any say in who uses your software?
To: <mailman-users at python.org>
Sender: mailman-users-admin at python.org

I recently tried to unsubscribe to a e-mail list that I had been on quite a
while due to it switching over to your software and the resulting chaos and
poor attitude shown by the list administrator. The site is at:

Below is an un-edited transcript of the e-mail exchange between the
administrator and myself. Is this the kind of example you want to set for
the success of your software?

Fri 12/28/2001 7:16 AM
Sent to: toy4x4-admin at lists.off-road.com

I have "unsubscribed" as directions listed and got a successful unsubscribe
response from the automated system. You can see by the header info that I am
still getting list mail a day after unsubscribing. Say what you will about
the idiots who can't do it. There's something screwed up here! Please remove
me.

Layton Light

Fri 12/28/2001 11:13 PM
Sent to: toy4x4-owner at lists.off-road.com

I will send as many e-mails as necessary to get this stuff to stop coming to
me. I am UNSUBSCRIBED! According to the web page and I'm still getting
stuff. STOP IT PLEASE!

Fri 12/28/2001 11:57 PM
From: PJC at ORC_OFFICE [pjc at mail.off-road.com]

When did you unsubscribe?

Sat 12/29/2001 8:25 AM
Sent to: PJC at ORC_OFFICE

I unsubscribed on Wednesday morning (11/26/01). The mail has stopped now.
Did you do something or was there some sort of lag time involved here? I am
fairly computer and internet savvy and have been on other lists with no
problems. The problems I'm seeing on this list do seem unusual. Good luck
with it. It's winter and my truck is in storage, so I'll probably
re-subscribe in the spring.

Thanks,

Layton Light

Sat 12/29/2001 10:25 AM
From: pjc at off-road.com [pjc at tecate.off-road.com]

Just as I said in numerous emails to every list, there is a lag time.

Sat 12/29/2001 12:29 PM
Sent to: pjc at off-road.com

Well how long is this lag time supposed to be? I just got 30 more e-mails
after un-subscribing on Wednesday for crying out loud! I've never, and I
mean NEVER, had this problem on any of about 5 or 6 other lists I've
subscribed-to and un-subscribed-from a dozen times! And I've never seen a
list so disrupted, with so many pissed off people, by either lousy software
or lousy administration of software in my life! Fix it, or find someone who
can!

Layton Light

Sat 12/29/2001 12:37 PM
From: pjc at off-road.com [pjc at tecate.off-road.com]

You are now banned.

As you can see, he did not fix the problem. He only banned me to keep from
hearing my criticism. I am still getting e-mail from the list and may have
to resort to contacting my ISP to bounce their stuff back to them. If this
is licensed in any way, I think he should have the license yanked, as he
obviously doesn't know how to use your software! Sign up for the list to see
how much of it has been taken over by people in the same position as me who
are unable to un-subscribe or to get mail to stop coming from the list!

Layton Light

Mailman-Users maillist  -  Mailman-Users at python.org