[CrackMonkey] a plea

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Fri Dec 21 19:22:01 PST 2001

begin Don Marti Uses GIFs on the Sly quotation:
> Won't somebody _please_ think of the proprietary software companies!
> http://www.oreillynet.com/pub/a/policy/2001/12/12/transition.html

    "But when we chose the GPL as the license of our projects, we did
    not fully comprehend the implications it had, nor that we were
    indirectly supporting a radical and vocal political movement."

Eeek, there are freaks doing the same thing we are!  It must not be the
right thing to do, then.

    "There was no notion of proportional fairness...."

Observe the violence inherent in the system!  Help!  Help!  Somebody's
being oppressed!

    "This copyleft license with a file-based scope was much more in
    alignment with our perception of freedom...."

We've switched religions, and so assume you-all must be eager to hear
all about why.

    "To our dismay we found the MPL on the list of incompatible licenses...."

We want to use other people's code for purposes they've never authorised
without having to ask their permission, and find to our shock that
copyright law stands in our way.  Now, we ask you:  Isn't that just
cosmically unfair?

    "Our problem with the existing disjunctive dual-licenses was that
    they allowed the removal of one of the licenses. "

Other people shouldn't be allowed to change the rules:  We want that
right to ourselves.

So, let me guess:  Time wastes virtual ink on clowns like these two in
order to appear "moderate".  (And I notice these guys don't understand
the simple notion of specifying a licence version:  "[FSF] can release a
new version of the license, which then will automatically apply to our
software."

--
Cheers,
Rick Moen                        YOU!  Out of the gene pool.
rick at linuxmafia.com