[CrackMonkey] Slashdot Farewell Speech

Jeff Waugh jdub at aphid.net
Wed Oct 4 00:28:38 PDT 2000

> Joakim Ziegler wrote:
>
> On the other hand, this doesn't seem to have skewed it much. Both KDE people,
> Linux and *BSD people, Perl, Python and PHP people, and yes, even Aaronl have
> achieved ratings that to me look pretty just.

Mmm. Look up http://advogato.org/person/TheGiver/ for aaronl's contribution
to Advogato. ;)

You're right though, it is very well balanced; but I think that has a lot to
do with the size of the community. Imagine if it suddenly hit Slashdot
proportions - would the seeded system work well? The distances would be
huge.

Local trust, as seen with PGP, would be much more scalable, plus you'd be
getting information *you* were interested in. Not sure how well the
calculations would fare... Perhaps VA would sponsor a Free Software
community trust metric server. ;)

- Jeff

-- jdub at aphid.net ----------------------------------- http://slug.org.au/ --

        Ye shall be cursed to fall in love so easily, and yet be so
                     cold of heart as never to express it.