[CrackMonkey] for all you Pine fans

Tom Gilbert tom at linuxbrit.co.uk
Fri Nov 10 18:02:47 PST 2000

* Joakim Ziegler (joakim at helixcode.com) wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 10, 2000 at 05:38:31PM -0800, Michael Jennings wrote:

> > Bummer.  Mutt opens my 50k mbox-format mailbox instantaneously.  The
> > *total* startup time for mutt is less than a second.
>
> mutt doesn't really open the mailboxes on startup. Opening them is when you
> change to them. What system is this? I've never seen mutt open anything of
> considerable size "instantaneously".

I think you meant 50k == 50,000 messages, and Michael was going for 50k
bytes? Mutt opens a 7.7Mb mailbox in 3 seconds or so here (opening as in
scanning headers and forming threads). (PII 450). 50kb is of course
instantaneous :-)

The thing is, I am of the opinion that anyone with a 50,000 message
mailbox needs to seriously look at their mail archiving policy...

Tom.
--
   /V\    | Tom Gilbert, London, England | http://linuxbrit.co.uk    |