[CrackMonkey] Gar! (Election Rant)

Deirdre Saoirse deirdre at deirdre.net
Thu Mar 9 11:28:17 PST 2000

On Thu, 9 Mar 2000, Mike Goldman wrote:

> The sole exception may be where a person should die intestate, and
> thereupon the will should be deemed upon preponderant evidence of marital
> status to dispose in favor of the surviving spouse.

Typically, states guarantee 1/3 of the estate to the surviving spouse.
Community property states typically guarantee 1/2. No state guarantees it
all.

In my case, my late husband was survived by myself and three sons. I was
entitled to a 1/3 and they were entitled to equal shares (2/9 apiece).

Remember that, especially in this day and age, there is no guarantee that
children were the children of the current spouse.

--
_Deirdre   *   http://www.linuxcabal.org   *   http://www.deirdre.net
"During my service in the United States Congress, I took the initiative in