[CrackMonkey] The right to bare legs

Michael Jennings mej at valinux.com
Thu Aug 24 19:27:33 PDT 2000

On Friday, 25 August 2000, at 01:17:05 (+0100),
Paul J Collins wrote:

> I'm not a zealot.  I am someone who realises that "open source" is a
> distraction, and a term that is more open to misinterpretation that
> the supposedly confusing term "free software".

"Open Source" is not a distraction at all, and from a business
standpoint, it is vastly superior to the term "free software."  Note
how acceptance of Open Source software in the world of business has
increased drastically since the term was coined.  This is at least due
in part to an increased understanding by businesses of how Open Source
works, and *that* is due in part to the term's coinage.

And don't even think of referring me to that free-software-for-freedom
page at gnu.org.  I've read it several times.  It's mostly crap.

Anyone who spends any time at all reading the OSD will understand that
it's really about preserving the freedom of the user through open code
and open development.  It's no accident that the Debian FSG and the
OSD are nearly identical.

> That's why "open source" is so insidious.  It is easy to write a
> definition that encompasses anything you like.

They didn't write a definition in an attempt to encompass something
insidious.  The OSD was refined from the DFSG.  If you're saying that
the FSG is insidious, that's another argument entirely.

> "Open source" is a business model with a vague idelogical
> underpinning based on apocryphal evidence.  Free software is a
> philosophy whose application has yielded a large body of useful
> software and the opportunity to be free of petty proprietary
> concerns.

The definition of "Open Source" comes directly from the Debian
definition of "Free Software," so when you insult one, you insult the
other.  I find this amusing.

Michael

--
Michael Jennings (a.k.a. KainX)  http://www.kainx.org/  <mej at eterm.org>